This recipe is based on the well known prawn toast and in fact if you really wish to you can replace the tofu with prawns. I find that the tofu's soft texture is excellent when prepared in this dish.
Portions: 6 portions
Preparation: 10 minutes plus 15 minutes refrigeration time
Cooking: 10 minutes
- 180g tofu, diced
- 1 tbsp shaoshing wine or dry sherry
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp five spice
- 2 tbsp self raising flour
- generous pinch white pepper
- generous pinch salt
- 6 slices white bread (large medium thick), crusts removed and cut into quarters
- 5-6 tbsp sesame seeds
- Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- Tofu Paste : Place all the tofu paste ingredients in a food processor and blend until you have a smooth paste. Place the tofu in a covered container for 15 minutes.
- Toast: Spread the tofu paste on one side of the bread with a palate knife or knife, so that the bread is evenly coated. Repeat this with all the quarters. Place the sesame seeds on a plate and carefully coat the tofu on the bread with the sesame seeds gently pressing them in.
- To Cook: Preheat oil in a deep fryer or wok to 180°C. Deep fry the bread in batches tofu side down, for 2-3 minutes, until the slices are golden brown. Remove from the oil, drain them on kitchen paper and keep warm in a low oven while you prepare the remaining slices.
- To Serve: Serve the toast with small bowls of sweet and sour sauce.