This is a really great savoury crepe fillings the silverbeet with a slightly bitter flavour combines brilliantly with the richness of stilton, resulting in a creamy delicious filling. (Silverbeet in Australia is known as spinach).
Portions: 6 Portions
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 15 minutes
- 100g plain flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 300ml milk
- 1 tbsp melted butter or olive oil
- maldon salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil (to cook)
Silverbeet and Stilton
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 kg silverbeet, tough stalk trimmed, washed and shredded
- 4 plum tomatoes or vine ripened plum tomatoes, finely diced
- 250g stilton crumbled
- 150g ricotta
- 75 ml double cream
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp basil, shredded
- 1 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- pinch grated nutmeg
- pinch cayenne pepper or paprika
- maldon salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tomatoes, roughly diced into .5-1cm cubes
- 2 tbsp basil, shredded
- 2 tbsp virgin or extra virgin olive oil
- 18 sprigs of chive
- Crepes to Prepare: Sieve the flour into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Place the eggs, melted butter or oil and milk in the well and beat it into the flour so that you have a smooth batter. Cover the batter and place it in the refrigerator for 10-30 minutes (it will last 2-3 days in the refrigerator).
- To Cook: Place 1 tablespoon of the oil in a crepe pan or large flat frying pan and place it over a moderately high heat. Pour 4 tbsp of the mixture into the centre of the pan and swirl it around so that it spreads out an covers it. Cook the pancake so that it is just set 3-4 minutes, then turn it over (the pancake should be golden) and cook for a further 1-2 minutes. Turn the pancake out onto a warm plate and keep it warm while you repeat the process a further 5 times (add a little more oil to the pan if necessary).
- Silverbeet Filling: Place the oil in a large saucepan over a moderately high heat. When it is hot add the garlic and cook it for 30 seconds. Add the silverbeet to the pan, reduce the heat slightly and cover it with a lid and leave it to cook for 3-4 minutes or until tender and reduced right down, removing the lid and redistributing regularly . When it is cooked remove the lid and stir in the stilton, ricotta, cream and spring onions and cook it while stirring so that the cheese has melted and you have a creamy silverbeet mixture. Add the remaining ingredients with seasoning taste and stir it so that they are well combined with the silverbeet filling. Remove the pan from the heat and keep the filling hot until ready to serve.
- To Serve: Place the crepes in the centre of each plate and distribute the silverbeet filling in the centre of each one. Fold over the sides so as to seal in the filling. Alternatively place the filling along the one side of the crepe and roll it. Sprinkle the tomato and basil around and over the crepes. Drizzle the olive oil around the plates. Place the chive sprigs over the crepes. Serve