This makes an excellent tortilla with fresh broad beans, new potatoes and fresh mint. You can vary the ingredients of the potato tortilla according to the season, a spring tortilla is good with purple sprouting broccoli. I have to admit I cheat when I make a tortilla, many years ago I used to turn them over the traditional way but after many near disasters I started to use the cheats method by placing the tortilla under the grill but by all means try turning it if you wish.
Portions: 6-8 Portions
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 20 minutes
Broad bean & New Potato Tortilla
- 200g podded broad beans, grey membrane peeled
- 300g new potatoes
- 3 tbsp mint, shredded
- 1 large red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 eggs
- 100ml milk
- maldon salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Vegetables: Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and place the new potatoes in the pan and leave it to simmer for 10-15 minutes so that they are just tender. Refresh the potatoes in water. Slice the potatoes into even slices around 1.5-2cm and set aside.
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and place the broad beans in it. Cook them for 1 minute and refresh them in cold water. Drain them and set aside.
- Eggs: Beat the eggs and milk together in a bowl until well combined. Stir in the spring onions, garlic, red chilli, mint, broad beans and salt and pepper. Add the potatoes to the egg mixture leave the mixture to stand for 10 minutes.
- Tortilla:Preheat the grill to moderate-high. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a moderate-high heat, making sure the oil coats the sides of the pan. When the oil is hot add the tortilla mixture and make sure you have an even layer. Reduce the heat slightly and cook the tortilla for 5-7 minutes so that it is almost set on top. Remove the pan from the stove and place the tortilla under the preheated grill and cook it for 3-5 minutes so that it is set and golden brown. Remove the pan from the grill and leave it for a couple of minutes. Place a plate over the frying pan and turn it out onto the plate. Serve the tortilla hot or at room temperature.
- To Serve: Serve the tortilla into even wedges as a tapas dish.