Mock Thai Fish Cakes
Tofu is used in this recipe as an alternative to seafood. It has all the taste of Thai fish cakes, without the fish. Perfect for vegetarians.
- 400g firm tofu
- 2 large red chilies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 spring onion, chopped roughly
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped roughly
- 1 tsp fresh ginger finely chopped
- 1-2 tbsp. Coriander, chopped roughly
- 3 limes leaves, finely shredded
- 1 egg
- 100g self raising flour
- 1-2tbsp basil leaves, chopped roughly (optional)
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- juice of 1/4 lime
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- Oil for shallow frying
- Thai sweet Chilli Sauce
- Place the tofu, chilies, spring onion, garlic, ginger, coriander, lime leaves, egg, soy sauce, lime juice, sugar and flour in a food processor and blend until it is just smooth. Do not allow it to become runny. Place the mixture in a bowl and stir in the basil leaves.
- Fry cakes in hot oil around 2.5cm deep by placing large tablespoons of the batter in it spreading it out slightly with the back of the spoon. Cook them for 1-2 minutes turning them halfway through cooking, until they are golden. Serve the Tofu cakes with Thai sweet chilli sauce.