This is a great recipe for all those lovers of carrot cake. This small version of the cake are delicious, moist and are quick to make. I have included a recipe for a topping but this optional on how indulgent you feel.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 15-20 minutes
- 125g unsalted butter, soft at room temperature
- 125g soft brown sugar
- 125g self raising flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 150g grated carrot
- 30g walnuts, chopped
- 30g sultanas
- 2 eggs
Lemon Cream Cheese Icing:
- 250g cream cheese
- 125g icing sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Carrot Muffins: Preheat an oven to 180°C. Break the butter up into small pieces and place it in a bowl with the brown sugar. Beat the butter and sugar together until they are well blended and creamy.
- Add the eggs while mixing at a slow speed one at a time and mix them into the butter until they are well combined.
- Gradually add the flour, nutmeg and cinnamon to the mixture while mixing at a slow speed. Mix the mixture together until it well blended and smooth.
- Stir in the carrot, walnuts and sultanas with a wooden spoon so that they are well mixed into the cake batter.
- Spoon the cake batter into a well greased muffin tin so that each one is 2/3's full. Place the muffin tin on the centre shelf of the preheated oven. Leave the muffins to cook for 20-30 minutes until they have risen, firm to touch and bounce back when touched. To test them insert a small skewer or knife in the centre of one it should come out clear when they are ready. Remove the muffins from the oven and turn them out on a rack to cool.
- Lemon Cream Cheese Icing: Place the cream cheese, icing sugar and lemon in a mixing bowl. Whisk all the ingredients together until all the ingredients are well blended. Place the icing in the fridge for 30 minutes before using. When the muffins have cooled spread a generous amount of icing over each one and sprinkle the walnuts over the top.
- Store the carrot muffins in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days though they are best on the day prepared.