This recipe makes another excellent use of nettles, with their slightly sharp flavour this makes a tasty alternative to the traditional basil pesto. The flavour complements many dishes, try using it with pasta on its own or with prawns. This recipe makes around 250ml more than you will need for one recipe but it will store well in a jar in the refrigerator for 1 month.
Portions: Makes 250ml
Preparation: 10 minutes
- 125g nettle, blanched in boiling water for a minute (this rids it of its toxic sting), drained and roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 50g pine nuts
- 60g parmesan, grated
- 80ml extra virgin olive oil
- maldon salt and freshly ground pepper
- Nettle Pesto: Place the nettle, garlic, pine nuts, parmesan, and a little salt and pepper, in a food processor. Blend the mixture until the mixture is smooth, scraping down the side occasionally. While the motor is running gradually pour in the olive oil until well distributed.
- Storage: Place the Pesto in a sterilised jar and pour a little extra olive oil over the top and seal well with a lid. Refrigerate until ready to use. The Pesto will keep for up to a month in well sealed jar in the refrigerator.