In this recipe aromatic chicken is deep fried in parcels of rice or flour paper and then eaten paper and all. Rice paper can be found in the sweet baking section in many supermarkets and both rice and flour paper can be purchased in East Asian grocers. It is a very simple dish to prepare but brings great satisfaction.
Portions: 4-6 Portions as a starter or part of a Chinese meal or as a canape
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 5 minutes
- 2 large skinless chicken breast, sliced into bite size pieces
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp shaoshing wine
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp five spice powder
- pinch salt
- 16-24 coriander leaves
- 16-24 rice or flour paper sheets
- oil for deep frying
- soy sauce
- plum sauce
- chilli oil
- Chicken Marinade: Place the chicken in a container with all the marinade ingredients. Leave the chicken to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Paper: Lay a sheet of rice or flour paper on a work surface. Place a slice of marinated chicken 3-5cm in at one end of the paper. Place a coriander leaf on the chicken and roll or fold the paper, bringing in the sides and sealing it in at the end eg. Like a spring roll. Repeat the process with the remaining chicken.
- To Cook: Heat some oil in a deep fryer or in a wok so that. The oil is hot enough when a cube of bread to rise to the top and be crisp and golden after a few seconds (180-190°C). Deep-fry 3-4 chicken parcels at a time for 1-2 minutes, drain on kitchen paper, set aside in a warm place while you cook the remaining parcels.
- To Serve: Serve hot accompanied with your choice of sauces.