Braised Brown Rice
This is a simple and tasty way to cook brown rice, it gives the rice a light texture that improves the flavour of any rice.
Portions: 4-6 Portions
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking: 15 Minutes
- 3 tbsp olive olive
- 200g brown rice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 600ml boiling chicken or vegetable stock (you may use a stock cube) or water
- 2-3 tbsp butter (optional)
- Rice: Soak the rice in water for 1 hour (optional).
- Preheat an oven to 200°C. Heat the oil over a medium-high heat in an oven proof pan, when it is hot add the cinnamon and stir for a few seconds until aromatic. Reduce the slightly and stir in the rice and cook it for 1 minute . Add the boiling stock to the pan and allow the rice to simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Place the lid on the pan and put it in the preheated oven. Allow the rice to cook for 30-40 minutes. The rice should be just tender and the stock should be absorbed. Remove the rice from the oven and loosen the rice by fluffing it up with a fork, adding the butter if using. Serve or keep warm until ready to serve.