Fresh ricotta is sold everywhere in Australia but unfortunately in the U.K. it mainly found in plastic tubs. With our recipe you can enjoy freshly prepared ricotta, knowing what ingredients went in to it.
Portions: 500g Ricotta
Preparation: 2 - 3 hours
Cooking: 5 minutes
- 2.25 litres full cream milk (for a low fat version use semi-skimmed milk)
- pinch maldon salt (crushed)
- 8 tsp rennet
- To Sterilize pan:Bring some water to the boil in a saucepan to sterilize it. Pour out the boiling water.
- Ricotta:Bring the milk and salt to blood heat in the sterilized pan. Gradually stir in the rennet, as soon as the rennet begins to work remove from the heat and leave to stand for 10 minutes. The milk should separate into curds on the top and whey at the bottom.
- Skim off the curd with a slotted spoon and spoon into a cheese cloth (clean muslin).
- Tie and hang up; leave to drip for 2-3 hours.