A traditional Greek accompaniment to grilled meats or as part of mezza as a dip with pita bread.
Preparation: 5 minutes plus 4-6 hours
- 500g Greek style yoghurt
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and grated
- 2 garlic clove, crushed
- juice of 1/4 lemon
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Place the yoghurt in a colander and drain for 3-4 hours (if the yoghurt is a thick set variety this may not be necessary.
- Squeeze the excess moisture from the cucumber.
- Mix all the ingredients together until well combined. Cover and refigerate for 1-2 hours before serving. The Tzatziki will keep for a couple of days in the refigerator, mix again before serving.