Green tomatoes and apples make a great chutney. In this recipe I include both cooking and eating apples for a varied texture and flavour.
- 750g green tomatoes
- 750g cooking apples, peeled, decored and roughly chopped
- 500g eating apples, peeled, decored and diced into .5-1cm cubes
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 100g currants
- 2 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 3 medium green or red chillies, finely chopped
- 500g caster sugar
- 300ml cider
- 125ml cider vinegar
- Place all the ingredients in a large non corrosive pan. Bring to a strong simmer then reduce to a slow simmer and leave for 2-3 hours until the liquid has evaporated and you have a thick chutney.
- Carefully spoon into sterilised jars while still hot. Seal and keep in a cool dry place for at least 4 weeks before using. The chutney should keep for 1-2 years.