With an abundance of strawberries in the fridge and a craving for something other than quince with my cheese, I came up with this recipe. A strawberry version to my sweet chilli jam.
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 90 minutes
- 900g strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped
- 600g over ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 20 large red chillies, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp grated ginger
- 900g caster sugar
- 250ml rice wine vinegar
- Puree the strawberries, tomatoes, chillies, garlic and ginger in a food processor or blender until you have a rough puree.
- Place the puree in a large saucepan with the sugar and vinegar. Slowly bring to the boil stirring regularly with a wooden spoon. When boiling reduce to a steady simmer and leave to cook for 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Skimming the top of any scum that comes to the top and stir regularly.
- When ready the jam should have thickened to a thick sauce consistency. Remove from the heat and pour into sterilised jars. When at room temperature store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Unopened the jam will keep for at least 3 months.