Butternut Pumpkin Risotto with Gorgonzola and Mascarpone
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 50-60 minutes
- 400-500g butternut squash, peeled seeds removed and cut into cubes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 700ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 150ml dry white wine
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 350g Arborio rice
- 2 tbsp basil leaves, shredded
- 100g Gorgonzola cheese
- 100g mascarpone
- Maldon salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp basil leave
- 50g Parmesan shaving
- 2 tbps toasted pine nuts (optional)
Risotto: Place the pumpkin tossed in a little olive oil in an oven
tray, put in an oven preheated to 200°C and cook for 15-20 minutes until tender.
Remove it from the oven and allow to cool then puree in a food processor.
- Place the stock with the wine in a saucepan and bring it to the boil, then
reduce it to a steady simmer.
- Heat the oil in a a large saucepan over a moderate heat and saute the onion
and garlic for a few minutes until the onion is transparent and soft. Stir in the
rice and cook it 3-5 minutes, stirring it regularly. Add a few ladlefuls of the hot
stock to the risotto so that it is just covered and stir it with a wooden spoon
until it is absorbed into the rice. Repeat this until the all the stock has been
absorbed into the rice and the rice is tender but firm to bite (al dente), this will
take 20-30 minutes altogether. Stir the pumpkin puree into the rice so that it is
well distributed and heat it through for a couple of minutes so that it is hot.
Remove the risotto from the heat and stir in the mascarpone, Gorgonzola and basil
leaves. The risotto should have a creamy consistency. Keep warm until ready to
To Serve:Distribute the risotto among 4-6 bowls and sprinkle over
the Parmesan shavings, basil leaves and pine nuts if using. Serve hot.
* Pumpkin and other squash varieties can be used in this recipe or try sweet
potato.*The risotto can also be served as a side dish. It is very good served with fish such
as seabass or lamb cutlets or try it with confit of duck as shown in the photograph.To
prepare confit of duck see our recipes.