It would be almost inconceivable to have Christmas Dinner without Bread Sauce. It is easy to make, and the dinner wouldn't be complete without it.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 30 minutes
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 10 cloves
- 1 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 500ml milk
- 125g white bread bread crumbs
- 4 tbsp creme fraiche (optional)
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- maldon salt and freshly ground pepper
- Bread Sauce: Stud the onion with the cloves. Place the onion, garlic, milk, and bay leaf in a saucepan over a moderate heat and leave it to simmer 15 minutes then remove it from the heat and leave it to infuse for 20 minutes. Strain the milk and return it to the saucepan and bring it to a simmer. Stir in the breadcrumbs and stir it softens. Remove the sauce from the pan and stir in the creme fraiche and nutmeg and seasoning. Serve warm in a sauce boat.