This dish makes an excellent part of Chinese style meal for carnivores as much as vegetarian's. Here I have given you a choice of sauces as the dishes a spicy bean sauce and garlic and ginger sauce, leaving the choice to you.
Portions: 4-6 Portions
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 10-15 minutes
- 2 squares of firm tofu 12-16cm long, cut into 4, 6-8cm squares (dependant on the size of the tofu), and sliced through the centre width wise
- 4 large bok choy leaves
- 10 shitake mushrooms, reconstituted in boiling water, stem removed
- 50g black fungus, reconstituted in boiling water, hard stem trimmed and slice into 4 pieces
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp spring onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- pinch sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Chilli and Black Bean Sauce
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 125ml water
- 2 tsp chilli bean sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp corn flour
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
Garlic and Ginger Sauce
- 2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbps spring onion white part only, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp ground nut oil
- 1 tbsp shaoshing wine or dry sherry
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- Tofu Sandwich: Bring water to boil in a steamer or wok with a steaming basket. Place 2 tofu squares on 2 plates, remove the top piece and lay a leaf of bok choy on each piece so that it covers the top, then place a piece of fungus on each leaf, followed by 2 shitake mushrooms. Sprinkle over the spring onion and garlic over each serving, and drizzle over the sesame oil and soy sauce. Place the top of the tofu on each piece sealing in the vegetables and place 1 shitake mushroom in the centre of each plate. Place the plates in the steamer or steaming basket and leave them to cook for 8-10 minutes until heated through and hot. If you have a large steamer or two levels or baskets you can cook them at the same time other wise cook one and keep the other warm while you cook the rest.
- Chilli and B;ack Bean Sauce: Heat the oil in a wok and add the garlic and ginger and cook stirring for 1 minute. Add the water, chilli bean sauce, tomato sauce and soy sauce and bring it to a boil. Mix the corn flour with a tablespoon of water. Stir it into the sauce and leave it to simmer until it thickens. Stir in the spring onion and serve or keep warm until ready to serve.
- Garlic and Ginger Sauce: Place all the ingredients in a mortar and pestle and crush them together or briefly blend in a food processor, the ingredients should still be whole. Serve or store in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
- To Serve: Serve the Tofu on the plates they were cooked on garnished with the shitake mushroom cooked with them. Drizzle the garlic and spring onion sauce around the tofu and serve with steamed or boiled rice.