My favourite way to Chinese Greens is by steaming and char-grilling. Both methods allow the vegetables to retain their flavour, colour and texture. The freshest of greens are needed as the cooking time is quick.
Portions: 6 portions
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 5 minutes
- 750g small mixed Asian Greens, trimmed washed and cut in half or thirds (dependant on size)
- 2-3cm piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- To Prepare: Place a char-grill (griddle) pan over a high heat or heat a barbecue until hot.
- Place the asian greens in a large bowl with the ginger, garlic, sesame oil, olive oil and soy sauce. toss the greens so that the ingredients are well distributed.
- To Cook: Cook the greens in batches for 2 minutes in the hot grill pan or bbq, turning halfway through the cooking time. The vegetables should be just cooked, tender and still green. Reserve the marinade.
- To Serve:Place the Asian Greens on a large plate, drizzle over any remaining marinade and scatter over the spring onions. You may wish to add a little more sesame oil and/or soy sauce. Serve hot or cold.