Smorrebrod is the Danish word for open sandwiches. They are a major part of the
Scandinavian diet but no where else as much as in Denmark. Danes often enjoy Smorrebrod
for lunch but also hold smorrebrod parties instead of smorgasbords. Smorrebrod literally
translates as buttered bread but this is an understatement as the bread is often hidden
totally by the topping. This is not to say that the toppings are heavy in fact they
should be light.
Smorrebrod when prepared should be attractive and tasty, the topping varies according
to the occasion.
- large slice of dark rye bread, buttere
- 2 Roll mops or other cured herring fillets
- 1 small cooked beetroots or canned beetroots, peeled and pureed
- 1 slice of gherkin
- 4-5 thin slices of gravalax (see recipe)
- 1 lemon wedge
- 1 dill sprig
- 2 thin slices of elemental cheese
- 2 thin slices of cucumber
- 1 lambs lettuce or iceberg lettuce leaf
- 1 small pickled onion, sliced in half (optional)
- 1 cherry tomato, quartered
- Paté (shop bought or see recipe)
- 3 cucumber slices
- 1-2 red grapes, quartered
- 3-4 slices of roast beef
- 3 small gherkins sliced in half
- small handful of mustard cress
- 3-4 slices Rolled Veal Sausage
- 3-5 finely sliced red onion rings
- 1 tsp finely chopped dill
Herrings on Beetroot Puree
- Spread the beetroot puree over the bread. Place the roll mops or herring
fillets on the bread. Garnish the smorrebrod with a gherkin in the
Gravalax can be purchased from many supermarkets and delicatessen or you can make your
own. If you prefer smoked salmon simply use it instead of the gravalax.
- Overlap the gravalax slices on the bread. Garnish the sandwiches with a lemon
wedge and dill.
- Place the lettuce leaf on the bread. Place the cherry tomatoes and pickled
cucumber in one corner of the bread.
- Place the elemental slices on the bread and garnish the cheese with the
cucumber slices on the bottom corner of the smorrebrod.
- Spread an even layer of the pate on the bread. Overlap the cucumber slices in
the centre of the bread. Garnish the pate with the grape quarters on the top right
hand corner of the bread.
Rolled Veal Sausage
- Overlap the slices of the roast beef on the rye bread. Fan the gherkin slices
in the centre of the roast beef. Garnish the smorrebrod with the cress on one corner
of the bread.
This rolled meat is sold in delicatessen, food shops and supermarkets through out
Scandinavia. You can make your own (see recipe
) or replace it with a similar
sliced cold meat.
- Overlap the slices of rolled veal sausage on the bread. Place 3-5 red onion
rings in the centre of the sandwich. Sprinkle the dill over the