Roast Pumpkin Risotto with Mascarpone
Roast Pumpkin Risotto is an classic italian dish. Risotto is very easy to cook and is great tasting.
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 50-60 minutes
- 400-500g butternut squash, peeled seeds removed and cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 700ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 150ml dry white wine
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 350g Arborio rice
- 2 tbsp basil leaves, shredded
- 200g mascarpone
- Maldon salt and freshly ground pepper
- 50g Parmesan shaving
- 2 tbps toasted pine nuts (optional)
Risotto: Place the pumpkin tossed in a little olive oil in an oven tray, put in an oven preheated to 200°C and cook for 15-20 minutes until tender. Remove it from the oven and allow to cool then puree in a food processor.
- Place the stock with the wine in a saucepan and bring it to the boil, then reduce it to a steady simmer.
- Heat the oil in a a large saucepan over a moderate heat and saute the onion and garlic for a few minutes until the onion is transparent and soft. Stir in the rice and cook it 3-5 minutes, stirring it regularly. Add a few ladlefuls of the hot stock to the risotto so that it is just covered and stir it with a wooden spoon until it is absorbed into the rice. Repeat this until the all the stock has been absorbed into the rice and the rice is tender but firm to bite (al dente), this will take 20-30 minutes altogether. Stir the pumpkin puree into the rice so that it is well distributed and heat it through for a couple of minutes so that it is hot. Remove the risotto from the heat and stir in the mascarpone and basil leaves. The risotto should have a creamy consistency. Keep warm until ready to serve.
To Serve:Distribute the risotto among 4-6 bowls and sprinkle over the Parmesan shavings and pine nuts if using. Serve hot.
* Butternut squash and other squash varieties can be used in this recipe or try sweet potato.*The risotto can also be served as a side dish. It is very good served with fish such as seabass or lamb cutlets or try it with confit of duck. To see how to prepare confit of duck see our recipe index.