Friends are delicious little French cakes made with ground nuts. I mainly use almonds
but hazelnuts also work well. You can also try different fruits, as always it is best to
use seasonal varieties; for example summer berries or for christmas Cointreau soaked
Australian will know just how nice these little cakes are to eat and they are very
popular, being sold at most cafés and coffee shops. One of the best things about Friands
is how amazingly easy they're to make.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 25-30 minutes
- 175 melted butter
- 6 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 250g icing sugar
- 75g plain flour
- 125g ground almonds
- 1 pear, cored and finely sliced
- Preheat an oven to 180c. Grease 8-10 capacity friand, cake or muffin
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl except the pear. Mix together until well
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tins, filling them halfway up. Place the
pear slices on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and leave for 5 minutes before turning out on a cooling
- Dust with icing sugar (optional) and serve.
Baker's Secret Friand Pan
Cookware Essentials, the New Zealand based provider of quality, stylish
kitchen cookware, cooking equipment and kitchen accessories at affordable
prices12 Cup Friand Baking Pan
Australian based Kitchen Discounts specialise in selling Brand Name products,
at discount Prices, giving you the best quality product, at an affordable, everyday
price.8 Friand Oval Silicone Mould
For British readers, Silicone Moulds is probably the largest stocks and range
of silicone cookware in the UK!